Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Transformative Power of a Serger

"oohhhhhmmmmm..."

"I'm skilled enough, I'm motivated enough, and doggone it my regular sewing machine loves me"

"i think i can, i think i can, i think i can, i think i can..."

yeah, no matter how hard I try, no amount of , motivational meditation or courage boosting self-talk can help me overcome my fear of this:

Looks easy, right? Kwik Sew 3489

What's the deal? Well, I have a great dress that I wanted to copy, and this is virtually the same pattern. I have a big piece of knit fabric I bought in a clearance bin a couple of years ago because I really liked it and thought "hey I could make a great skirt or wrap dress like that one in my closet out of this".  But all the fabric edges and hems are done with a serger and I couldn't wrap my head around a wrap dress out of knit that required me to do rolled hems (something I've never done) or some other work-around to achieve a reasonably attractive results (i.e. something I'd wear).


I haven't been able to justify spending money on a serger yet and keep racking up projects that really require one (or at least are meant to be done with one). So, imagine my delight when I saw the giveaway at Sew, Mama, Sew! for a fancy Husqvarna Viking Serger! 

The more I think about it, the more ideas pop into my head of things I could do with a serger - napkins, pieced silk scarves, easy knit PJ pants for Wild Thing and Teen Wonder...not to mention all the things I don't know about yet because I've never had a serger!


This serger will surely transform my crafty life!

No comments:

Post a Comment