Remember a couple of posts ago, when I described the crazy 1" patches of fabric project? I showed the layout of all the pieces on the fusible Quilter's Grid... Well, after a few nights of insomnia last week I managed to finish the pillow it was intended to become! Say hello to Circular Logic!
I won't lie, this was a time consuming project for the small size payoff -and that is not something I would have ever undertaken except that the project came from an ezine I subscribe to "Fat Quarterly" - and they put out a call for entries to a Reader Competition in mid-January.
I also planned a full-sized quilt project since you were allowed an entry into 2 categories: A for quilts, and B for other projects. I finished the quilt top (the Flying Geese project I also blogged about last time), but there's just no way I can quilt or bind it before the deadline at the end of the month. (Don't you hate when your job gets in the way of you life?)
So, I'm adding this post to the Blogger's Pillow Party as well - because I've been following that too, and meaning to make more pillows since before Christmas (when I did make a few pillows...pillows appear to be the rage lately and I love making pillows now!)
Although I love how this pillow turned out, I have to tell you this project challenged my limits in terms of slightly tedious pressing and challenging piecing, even with the Quilter's Grid fusible. After I had everything cut out and was trying to piece the inset circles, I had to rip out the smaller circles a couple of times and finally had to improvise a different way to put the top together - sort of a hybrid inset/applique with a different finished look to it. With the linen and seam ripper and fraying edges, it was touch and go there for one evening!
I guess that's the great thing about accepting a challenge once in awhile instead of only going with ideas in your own regular comfort zone. It was definitely a learning, skill-building process!