Friday, August 10, 2012

Marimekko tablecloth

We have a Crate and Barrel Outlet store nearby in Berkeley. I don't get over there very often, but it is fun to go for many reasons. A couple of times I've bought really nice fabric there and used it for projects.  They usually have yardage of Marimekko designs, and I usually love love them...

Like the huge bulletin board/wall in our kitchen:


This nook area looks WAY different today, but I don't have time at the moment to take a new photo.  We love having a whole wall to pin things onto!
(btw: I used a tutorial here for a fabric covered large homasote bulletin board)

I used a similar fabric to cover my ironing board last year. I had picked up a few yards of each not knowing what I'd do with them, but they were ?? I don't remember, but less than $5 a yard I think.

More recently I did the same thing, but I had a specific project in mind - a new table cloth.
Now, this is exactly the kind of project I had in mind when I got my serger for a birthday present a couple of years ago. I figured I could whip out new tablecloths and napkins like crazy with a rolled edge stitching.
 And I serged the edges of the seams to prevent any unraveling since we wash our tablecloths a lot.

I was making placemats with the scraps, but I made a mistake and had to abandon that project for now.  Between kid stuff and a HUGE increase in my job responsibilities added to travel to 3 cities in the past 3 weeks...well. Let's just say that I took photos of this table cloth at least 3 weeks ago. And I don't have any other finishes lately, or much activity in the craft corner.

I did find a bunch of photos on my Blackberry of a yarn bomb project that I saw last time I was in Basel (late June) - I will download and post some here after my vacation this week. It's pretty cool.

I hope everyone is having a great summer! I will try to hook up at some linky parties, at least Sarah's Whoop! Whoop! Fridays

And also TGIFF! (where there is also a little giveaway!)

6 comments:

  1. Your fabrics are gorgeous! The tablecloth turned out fabulous. I love how the different colors play off each other. I should use my serger more...
    Good Luck finding a good balance between work and play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your message center! Looks so pretty with your chairs! Thanks for checking out my blog!! I am going to follow yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both the message board and the table cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love Marimekko - and you've done some beautiful things with yours!! Love the message center, and your table cloth is so yummy, it makes me want to make one of my own! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! That table cloth is great - may you enjoy it for many years to come!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Table cloth designs are increase the beauty of the tables. This type of table designs look so simple and vintage designs. It collectively use for the table cloths and rolled edge of the stitching.

    Tablecloths

    ReplyDelete